Under Section 137 of the Local Government Act 1972, Stapleford Town Council has discretionary powers to award grants to local groups or organisations for “purposes, which may bring a direct benefit to the area or any part of it for some or all the inhabitants”. To be considered for an award, applicants must make a written application and provide necessary details as requested.
The Council will use the criteria set by Department for Communities and Local Government Act to determine the maximum amount grant aid that will be available on a bi annual basis. The Council have adopted the following policy,
- Applications for grants can be made anytime of the year.
- The Council reserves the right to alter grant aid limits in line with budget requirements and or expenditure it maybe required to make.
- All applicants will be notified regardless of application outcome.
- Successful applications will be recorded in the Council meeting minutes.
- Grants will be paid by BACS into the organisations account.
- Grants must be spent within 12 months of issue.
Criteria for Making Grant Aid to an Organisation
Any organisation, club or society that wishes to make an application for Grant aid must,
- Submit a fully completed application form.
- All applications must identify how the Grant aid will benefit the residents of the Council.
- The organisation, club or society must be non-profit making.
- All applications above £250 must be accompanied by the most recent Annual Accounts and a copy of their most recent bank statement.
- Each application must state the names of any other organisations to which an application for Grant aid has been made.
- Receipts for all transactions that have been made with the grant must be provided to the Parish Council with 28 days upon request.
- Any grant that the Council offers is on the understanding that the applicant is responsible for obtaining any necessary legal permissions (including insurances) The offer of the grant by the Council should not in any way be taken as any authorisation.
- The applicant must notify the Council in advance if they are unable to fulfil or need to change any part of their application.
- Applicants agree to acknowledge the contribution that has been made by the Council in any publicity.
- The Council will request immediate repayment of any grant, and pursue all costs, if it is felt any criteria has not been adhered to.
For legal reasons (Section 137), applications cannot be considered from
- Organisations which support or oppose any political party,
- Organisations that discriminate on the grounds of sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion and belief, age or
- Organisations or establishments for whom Central Government, Health Authorities, County or District Councils are the appropriate statutory funder.
To make an application for a Section 137 Grant please download and fill out the application form below and send to:
Town Clerk, Carnegie Civic & Community Centre, Warren Avenue, Stapleford NG9 8EY